Just as a lesson plan helps teachers set and guide students toward classroom objectives, a strategic education technology plan helps school leaders achieve their technology goals. Schools that are serious about improving their technology have plans that not only clarify their visions for educational technology but identify the best steps for achieving them.
- It creates shared understanding of your school’s technology performance. As you draft your technology plan, you may discover that board members, IT professionals, and other stakeholders have different perspectives on the condition and role of technology in the classroom. The process of creating the plan should help give these stakeholders a common point of reference for making IT recommendations and decisions.
- It defines your vision for the future. A clear plan paints a picture of success. When people can see that picture, they are more likely to help make it a reality. By defining the goals for your school’s technology future, you can get everyone working for the same outcomes.
- It reveals potential roadblocks. The hardest obstacles to overcome are those that you didn’t expect. By defining your current situation and your desired outcomes, you improve your team’s ability to anticipate complications, giving you more time to resolve them efficiently.
- It brings structure to your team’s creativity. Passionate educators are always imagining new ways to instruct students—especially with the endless possibilities technology offers. A strategic technology plan channels these creative ideas so that they support and enhance your school’s IT objectives.
How do you start?
- Audit your school’s technology assets and performance. Take stock of your devices, infrastructure, policies, personnel skills, and documented procedures.
- List and prioritize your goals. Write down everything your technology must achieve to support the growth of your students. Make sure you consult stakeholders who will be using the technology. Identify which IT results are “must haves” for your school and what needs to happen to achieve them.
- Review your budget. Consult with a qualified school IT professional to determine the best way to use your technology dollars.
Vartek has been helping schools achieve their technology visions for more than 30 years. Let’s talk about how we can help you create a great strategic IT plan for your school. Call 800-954-2524.